Mega Greek Online – session 1
Sneaky Greek & The Gods
Date: Monday 30th March, time: 11-11.45am
If you want to join the lesson, contact email@example.com for the Zoom code.
Materials you’ll need
- worksheet printout (download here: https://maximumclassics.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/mg1-wordmatch.pdf)
- (optional) card-match game activity printout (download here: https://maximumclassics.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/mg1-gods-matchup.pdf)
Part 1 – introduction & hellos
Our mascot for this lesson is the King of the Ancient Greek gods, Zeus. We’ll find out more about him and his family in Part 5 of the lesson.
We’ll learn how to say ‘hello’ in Ancient Greek, and also notice how the alphabet is a bit different from what we’re used to.
Part 2 – Game: Back in Time
Mums, Dads and big brothers/sisters can help out on this game. Zeus is going to zap us back along the history timeline. In each place in history we land, we’ll see a picture. From the picture you can try and guess where in history we are. Can you spot when we arrive in Ancient Greece?
Part 3 – Quiz: Sneaky Greek
The Ancient Greeks have given the English language some interesting words. The Greek words in both ‘normal’ letters and Greek letters will pop up. Can you see what English word they’re similar to? Type the answers in your chat box.
Part 4 – Task on Paper – Match the Greek to the English
Let’s look at some more words that come to us from the Ancient Greeks. You’ll have ten minutes to go through your worksheet. You can work on your own or with a partner (Mum/Dad/brother/sister). Do the easy ones first, and do as many as you can. If you have any questions or need any help, type in the chat box. After ten minutes, we’ll go through the answers.
Part 5 – Greek Gods Quiz
We’ll split up into teams – Goddesses (Girls) v. Gods (Boys). I’ll show you a picture of a god or goddess from Greek mythology, as well as giving you clues about their special powers. If it’s your team’s turn to answer, you can type the name of the god into the chat box.
After-session activities & links
⚡️Make a Greek Gods memory game
⚡️Listen to the myth of the early Greek gods (aka the most dysfunctional family of all time)
⚡️Colour in and/or annotate the myth in pictures https://www.primaryancientgreeks.com/sites/www.primaryancientgreeks.com/files/Creation%201%20storyboard_0.pdf
- 🤐 Stay on mute! Everyone needs to be on mute, otherwise things could get very noisy! If you want to answer a question, type in the text box.
- 💻 Be patient! If the lesson’s Internet connection goes down, I will switch to another network. This may take a couple of minutes but the Zoom room will stay open.
- 📝Be prepared! Have all the materials you’ll need (listed above) ready.
- 🤓Have fun! Ancient Greece is awesome (but I may be slightly biased).
I’ll be recording the session for training and monitoring purposes. However, the video will only be shown within the Classics For All organisation and won’t be made available for wider viewing.